Monday, July 2, 2012

mi casa es su casa

Did you know that?  I mean it, our house is yours...whenever possible we want it to be open to whatever and whoever.  We love it when people just stop by - but be forewarned, it might be messy!  But if you don't mind it a bit messy, stop by - we would love it!

This week (and next) we get to host 5 girls who are in town training to teach 5 day clubs this summer.  Do you know what a 5 day club is??  It is a mini vacation bible school in your own backyard!  It is so amazing.  I really was nervous that no one would show up the first year we hosted, but I did it anyway - and what do you know??  Kids come - every year!  Some of them are church kids that we know, but who cares??? Our church kids need just as much encouragement in the Lord as non-churched kids! 

You know what I realized?  It is not about me getting kids here - it is about me being willing to let the Lord use me and my house and my yard and my life for His glory.  To be willing is all I need to do.  It is not my job to get kids here, it is God's.  So cool!  There are a few really cool things too - in your own backyard you can invite kids who might not want to go to church.  Also it gives them a taste of VBS and then you can invite them to the super cool, hugely crazy, totally fun and wild VBS at your own church (if you are blessed enough to have that).  And finally, it is a step outside of the box.  It is an easy way to let your neighbours know that you are a person of faith.  Our sermon on Sunday was partially about how Christians should expect to suffer persecution because Jesus did...so why wouldn't we?  And even though I don't AVOID the subject to keep from suffering persecution - I don't have any way to start the conversation, often.  5 day clubs is an easy way to do it!

(If you want to host one you can probably still do so by calling the number on this website....you don't have to do anything really, except open up your yard.  They send a worker who takes care of all the teaching - and it is only for an hour once a day for a week - super easy!)

Anyway, our experience with 5-day clubs has been very positive, and our oldest daughter is going to be teaching this year!  Yay for her!  And now we have this big house, so we decided it would be great to open it up for girls who are coming for training.  I will ask them tomorrow if I can post a picture of them here on my blog - they are fantastic girls!

So it is a party around here with lots of girls...ranging in age from 19 down to almost 2.  Fun times!  Feel free to stop by!





No comments:

Post a Comment