It was kind of amazing.
I am so happy that our oldest daughter had the opportunity to serve this year, I am feeling really blessed.
Each worker had opportunity to stand up and share their summer highlight - it moved me to tears numerous times. Did you know that there were 5000 children enrolled in 5 day clubs this summer in Saskatchewan? There were 1298 children enrolled in Alberta and 45.9% of those 6298 children don't regularily attend church or Sunday School. Almost 600 children made decisions to accept Christ and over 7000 Mailbox club lessons were received.
This is incredible to me.
But it is more than that. It is more than the kids who attended the clubs. It is the kids who taught the clubs. I was so amazed to hear what THEY got out of the summer. An increased sense of God's love for the kids they were teaching, a realization that He really does provide. One boy talked about how his heart was broken for all the fatherless children he taught on this one reserve and how he felt like maybe they (the CYIA workers) were father figures to them, but how could they do that, they weren't equipped, they couldn't go back often enough - and God showed him that the way they were doing it was taking these children and introducing them to THE Father. Introducing them to Father God, who IS a father to the fatherless. He was amazed to see his role as teacher in this 'bigger picture' light. One girl talked about having a rollover with her car and realizing that God provides when someone came along to help her, and her injuries were very minimal, considering. They spoke of God giving them energy and enthusiasm for the task, for Him providing physical needs like places to stay and children to attend the clubs. The spoke of learning that prayers are really answered - WHEN YOU PRAY THEM. I was just amazed at what it did for them, not just those they were teaching! I was so not that mature when I was 14, 15, 16, heck not even when I was in my 20s.
I am humbled and awed that we were able to be a small part of it.
So what is my daughter doing today to wind down, now that clubs are done and school isn't starting until tomorrow or Wednesday?
Quizzing!
LOL! That is another thing that is amazing to me. This year they are memorizing from Matthew. I am going to try and memorize too - even though I am old and it is hard for me. But of all the things she could be doing on her first weekday off of teaching and one of her only days off before starting back to school work, she is memorizing!
Totally in awe!
No comments:
Post a Comment